Matt is known for being an energetic and focused coaching with 15+ years of coaching experience. He began coaching with the 88’ Honeybaked team in 2003 and found the transition from playing to fulfilling. Matt looks most importantly to build individual players in fun and positive format that bring about positive development both on and off the ice.
Matt began his youth hockey career playing goalie in Decatur, Il playing with older kids challenging his development at an early age. Playing for Chicago Young Americans (’80) before moving to Michigan and playing for Orchard Lake St. Mary’s allowed him the opportunity to play in High School Selects tournaments across North America. Winning the Top Goalie Awards with the lowest GAA in Montreal Spring Selects Tournaments and the Ferris State HS Tournament MVP (1997) are just a few of his individual awards won. A short stint playing for Michigan State Club Hockey team completed his playing time before focusing his attention to his education.
Matt’s Coaching Career:
- 1999 – 2002 – Goalie instructor in many Metro Detroit goalie camps
- 2003: ’88 Honeybaked Goalie Coach
- 2004 – 2009: ’95 USA Eagles Head Coach – Many tournament wins, district titles, SilverSticks Championship, players moved up to AAA yearly.
- 2010: ’95 Birmingham Rangers Midget A Head Coach – 3 tournament Wins
- 2010 – 2014: Woodward Warriors Spring Select Midget AA Head Coach – 5 Time Belle Tire End School Tournament Champs
- 2014 – 2016: Bloomfield High School Team Lead Skills Instructor
- 2016 – 2018: Birmingham Mini Mite Director
- 2017: Detroit Jr. Red Wings Brick Team – Assistant Coach
- 2018 – 2019: Bloomfield Blades Coach
- 2019 – Present: 11 Detroit Flames/11 Little Caesars Coach
- Goalie coach for many goalies and teams over 15+ years: 1995 Little Caesars, 1996 USA Eagles, 1997 Little Caesars, 1998 Birmingham Rangers, 1999 Troy Sting, 2003 Birmingham Rangers, 2006 Troy Sting, 2007 Birmingham Rangers, 2009 Birmingham Rangers, 2010 Birmingham Rangers
- Focus on age appropriate training
- Lower body leads to structured stance and proper balance in and form in stance
- Hybrid style focus to promoted to encourage athletic goalies
- Works with style of goalie to encourage a foundation that bring about mental and physical success
- Focuses players to reach their top skill level with high intensity drills that translate to game success
- Small Area Games that focus on puck possession
- Defensive concepts that allow for team success
- Specialty in mental calmness bringing players to superior confidence on and off the ice
- Challenges players’ skills limits to reach next level of individual success